Riverside Rumbles Dec 1970 (Zimbabwe)

               I U  
               V   M  
               E     B  
               R       L  
               S         E  
               I           S  

December 1970 No. 2


1970 Selekwe Camp
The Easter Camp was held at Ferney Creek near Selukwe. The boys were divided into 4 patrols, Tiger, Lion, Leopard and Venture, the cooking being done in shifts of three meals by the first three patrols, the Venture Patrol's job being to organise the activities of the younger boys.
All the young scouts on their first camp hear about the Izzi-Daw-Daw which is reputed to be a walking tree with one glowing eye, which eats little boys. If they are walking along and feel that someone is following them it is bound to be the Izzi-Daw-Daw, but as soon as they turn around it stops and all they see is a tree. This story frightened Gary Rae so much that he would not sleep at night without a senior in the tent. Noises made by Brian Nicholson in the bush frightened him still further. The seniors finally persuaded Gary that there was no more to fear by putting some blood from my blood nose on to an axe and telling him that they had killed the Izzi-Daw-Daw - what a night!
On the Saturday night the seniors, headed by Mike Franklin, held a campfire to which they invited everyone in the camp-site. Each patrol had to put on a skitt and an evening of good fun was enjoyed by all.
On the morning of the last day we all went to an old mine-dump which was eroded by the wind and rain. We got large pieces of cardboard which we sat on and used to slide down the dongas. The wind was very strong and blew the dust into our hair and sweating faces. After out dust-bath we returned to the swimming pool to get rid of the mud.
The seniors had a debate which was entitled "Should we kill the snake or throw it into the bush", when a snake was found on the surround of the pool. A vote was taken and the majority voted for throwing the snake into the bush. Just then it slid up to the edge of the pool and when Bryan Nicholson yelled "On your marks - get set - go!" it jumped in. Everyone roared with laughter and then the snake was rescued.
Packing for home took a long time but everyone worked quickly to get finished. After cleaning the campsite the cars were packed and off we went. We had a sing-song in our van till we came to Glengarry Garage when we heard a bang at the back of the van. We hopped out to find a big piece of the re-tread of one of the rear tyres missing. We drove slowly into the garage and changed the wheel then phoned the scout hall and told them that we would soon be back.
The camp was a great success and I am glad that the Selekwe Camp is an annual event.
To our horror Tiger Patrol won the prize for the most points gained for various things during the camp - thus proving to be the best patrol. Oh well - you cant win them all!
P. Corbet-Owen
A.P.L. - Eland Patrol

The competitive spirit is encouraged in the Troop amongst the Patrols and points are awarded each week for inspection, patrol competitions, good turns and last but not least, the passing of Scout Standard Badges, Advanced Scout Standard Badges, Proficiency badges and other higher awards. A floating trophy - the Hadfield Trophy, is presented each year to the winning patrol usually at the Group Committee's Annual General Meeting.
The following Awards and badges were gained during the year:-

- June 1970 -
David Davies, Andrew Hope, Peter Watson, Paul Balmer, Jeffrey Swindells, Lewin Cox, Brett Wilkinson, Jerard Swindells, Gary Rae.
- November 1970 -
Neil Mitchell, David Beck, Donald James, Ian Gardner.

Scout Standard Badge
P. Corbet-Owen Kudu Patrol
C. Miles Sable Patrol
C. Anderson Eland Patrol
N. Coom Impala Patrol
R. Hadfield Kudu Patrol

Cheif Scout's Award
R. Felgate Eland Patrol

Proficiency Badges
Kudu Patrol:-
J. Pridgeon Gardeners, Musicians, Swimmers
P. Corbet-Owen Swimmers
N. Coom Swimmers
D. Davies Swimmers
R. Hatfied First Aid
B. Wilkinson Swimmers

Impala Patrol:-
N. Coom Ambulance

Eland Patrol:-
P.Watson Swimmers
R.Nixon Swimmers
C. Anderson Swimmers
R. Felgate Hikers, Ambulance, Senior Explorer
I. Gardner Fisrt Aider
Jeffrey Swindells Swimmer

Sable Patrol:-
A. Clarke Horsemans
Jerrard Swindells swimmers
C. Miles Swimmers, Ambulance
G. Rae Swimmers
I. Courtney Swimmers, Ambulance, Master Cook
J. Scales Swimmers, Musicians, First Aider

The 1970 Scout Gala
The Scout Gala, held on Sunday afternoon in February, was not devoted entirely to competitive swimming. About 15 boys took tests for the Junior Swimming Badge, which included being able to swim several different strokes, swimming in clothes and diving. 14 of those boys passed thus showing a very high standard.
The Gala was run on an Inter-patrol basis, the patrols included Kudu, Sable, Eland and a small representation from the Venture Patrol. The Gala took on a most unusual form and included some delightful variety such as the event in which tin plates were scattered over the bottom of the pool. The object was to see how long one could stay under, picking up these plates. The final result was First, Kudu Patrol - Second, Sable Patrol - Third, Eland Patrol.
The Venture Patrol judged and recorded the results of the day's events which showed that the troop had some good swimmers.
Angus Lawson - Venture Patrol.

On Sunday March the 1st, most of our Scouts helped at the motor racing. Mr Felgate, Jimmy Felgate and Mike Halgreen were each in charge of a gate.
It was a very hot day and everyone suffered in one way or another. Most of the Boys' arms and legs were scarlet after it, as there was no shade, but the thing we lacked most of all was water as when the cars or motor-cyclists went in, they all did wheel-spins and sent clouds of dust flying. On one gate the boys were so thirsty that when a D.M.B. lorry came by it was raided for ice.
Each boy was given some money to spend from the Scout Troop, and the day was divided into 2 shifts, so that some boys did half a day and others a whole day.
Only one accident occured due to the stupidity of spectators. A Mini Miner came roaring along the dirt road round the track and skidded and hit a boy riding a bicycle. We were told later that the fellow had most of his head smashed in!
I think everyone enjoyed doing this duty and will be prepared with water and cold drinks next time, the Scout Motto being "Be Prepared"!!!
Patrol Leader - Eland Patrol

Cricket Match
On the 5th March a cricket match was held between a Fathers XI and a Scouts XI.
Batting first, little resistance was offered by the Fathers against the pace bowling of Angus Lawson (7 - 20). Mr Corbet-Owen top scored with 14 out of a total of 61.
In reply the Scouts reached 75 - 6 before declaring. Mr Corbet-Owen (4 - 17) caused an early collapse and only an innings of 18 by Mike Halgreen and 34 by myself saved the side.
The Fathers second innings fell into the hands of Mr Anderson who scored a very useful 27. He was well supported by Mr Corbet-Owen with 12 and the declaration came with the score 68 for 9.
The Scouts thus needed 58 to win. However, they once again had to contend with Mr Corbet-Owen who finished off a fine days cricket with 5 - 12. Only a lightening 32 not out by Bryan Nicholson saved the Scouts from disaster. The Scouts thus cam out victors by two wickets.
Ander Lawson
Venture Patrol

The "ROLLING STONE" Competition
On the 12th March 1970 six members of the troop took part in the "Rolling Stone" Competition which, this year, took the shape of a mini- pioneering project. The competition is a challenge, the winning patrol challenging other patrols the following year.
The project took the form of a swinging derrick and had to be a scale replica of the full-sized model. We were unfortunately un-placed, to our great disappointment.
After the competition a lecture on bush survival was given by Me A. Savory, M.P. In this we learnt what vegetation can be eaten, how to track and what equipment to carry.
Although very disappointed I can say that everyone enjoyed themselves and learnt a great deal; especially not to be over confident!
M. Halgreen
Venture Patrol

Annual General Meeting
This was held in March and the Committee and most of the parents were there. We were also honoured by the attendance of Mr Strattford who presented Robert Felgate with his Chief Scout's Award.
After we had fallen in and broken the flag we were dismissed and took the Troop up to the Guild Hall where we played various games and went on a run down the road to the river.
Soon after this we were back in the Scout Hall where badges were presented by Mr Strattford as well as the award to the Troop's keenest Scout - Peter Corbet-Owen.
After breaking we all had a snack and something to drink before leaving.
A. Leiman
Kudu Patrol

Trade Fair
This years annual Bulawayo Trade Fair was held from May 1st to May 10th. Every day our Troop had about the best turn-out of Scouts. For every boy on duty our various Patrols got one point, and more for assistant Patrol Leaders and Patrol Leaders. The order in which the Patrol Points were gained was as follows:-

1)Kudu Patrol - 63 2)Sable Patrol - 61 3)Eland Patrol - 55

The duties allocated to the Scouts are selling programmes, doing Gate duty or being tea-boy and sometimes senior Scouts are put on the gates to sell tickets if there is a shortage of adults.
As well as doing Scout duties, some of our Scouts, who are members of Red Cross, do First Aid duties.
Patrol Leader - Eland Patrol

Matopo Venture 70"
A camp was arranged for all the senior scouts of Rhodesia and was held from Saturday 10th May to Thursday 15th May. R.Felgate, A.Leiman and I.Courtney attended from Riverside. 19 other boys from various other troops also attended.
On arrival at Gordon Park we were divided up into 4 patrols and R.Felgate was made patrol leader of one - "Lion Patrol". Then we had to set up camp and make a patrol emblem.
he Sunday was spent attending an interesting lecture given by Inspector Mariot of the B.S.A.P. on bush craft and survival. This took all morning and Mr Wilson from the Bulawayo museum gave a lecture on Mammology and showed us about 20 skins of different carnivores. About the only ones left out were Lion, Leopard and Tiger.
On Monday Mr Taylor lectured on Geology and Mr MacDonald on Geophysics, the latter being entertained to lunch that day by Lion Patrol.
On Tuesday morning Mr Osborn, a Game Ranger from the National Parks, came to Gordon Park and gave a lecture on soil erosion and prevention thereof. Lion Patrol als entertained Mr Osborn to lunch that day. In the afternoon we were taken around the Matopos National Park and were allowed to alight from the truck and see what efforts were being made to prevent soil erosion there.
The Wednesday was taken up by abseiling in the morning with a scouter, Mr Gibson and sailing on Matopos Dam with Mr Carlisle in the afternoon.
We went to the Matopos Research Station near R.E.P.S. on Thursday morning where we were given lectures, shown different types of grass and specially treated cattle and sheep. The M.R.S. also deals with many other things but there was just not enough time to see everything.
After lunch, we packed our kit, cleared the camp-site and returned home. On the camp we suffered two casualties - the first a young boy with bad stomach-ache who had to retire and the second, more serious, a boy who broke his leg on a night hike we went on Wednesday night.
Sable Patrol

The Scout Walk
One of the highlights of the past year was undoubtedly the Scout 20 Mile Sponsored Walk. The financial success of this venture has already been mentioned in the Treasurers Report. However, on top of this, everyone who walked had a most enjoyable time and also learnt a few things, like 20 miles is a long way to walk, especially the last five miles of it!
The route took the walkers in a zig-zag and round-about journey through Lochview and Riverside, to Townsend Road and along the Old Essexvale Road and then back to the Scout Hall along the Johannesburg Road.
Congratulations must go to Gary Rae , the smallest member of the troop, for completing the course first, while some seniors were still struggling past the half-way mark.
Thanks must go to Mr. Courtney and his helpers for organising the walk and providing food and drink along the route. Thanks to the Scouts and especially the non-scouts for making such a good effort in getting sponsors, walking the distance and then collecting the cash. Thanks also, of course, to all the sponsors for their interest and generosity.
Two prizes were awarded for the Boys and one for the girls, for the greatest amount of money raised by an individual. The boys prize was won by Robert Felgate who had a very short lead over Edwin Marshall. The girls prize was easily won by Vanessa Felgate. Several Scouts and one girl collected over fifty dollars individually. I feel that special congratulations should go to each of these people for their effort.
Venture Patrol

Assegai Competition
The Assegai Competition was held on the 6th and 7th June and our Troop entered one team. The patrol was the Buffalo Patrol and the team was as follows:-
P.L. Robert Felgate, A.P.L. Andrew Lawson, Ian Courtney, Antony Leiman, Tom Bull, and Julian Scales.
All the teams had to assemble at the White Rhino Caves where the Patrol and Kit were inspected. Then we could go, via the kopjes into Gordon Park with all our kit on our backs (what a strain!!) where we reported at the Duty hut. Our Camp sites having been allocated we began to pitch camp. The bivouac was built, gadgets made and a kitchen also prepared. We had to make bread in tinfoil, which was later judged the best.
During the afternoon judges came round judging the various projects, accompanied by a press Reporter who took photographs of our Patrol, one of which was printed in the following days newspaper. Supper had to be ready by 6pm.
That night there was a campfire and we had to do a skitt. Then we could start on our spare-time activities but lights had to be out by 9:30pm. The S.T.A.'s were to collect and name 12 leaves, make a knotting board of six named knots, de-code a message, make a rope ladder, make a hat of natural materials and make a plaque as a souvenir of Assegai, and had to be handed in by 2:30pm on Sunday.
The gong was banged at 5 o'clock next morning and we all had to assemble in the Bowl where we were told that we only had 3 minutes to get all necessary equipment and supplies to the bowl as our camp sites would soon be endangered by a bush fire.
After breakfast we had a Scouts Own and for the rest of the day we had unusual tests to do and also our S.T.A.'s. The tests included lighting a fire without matches, making a sand filter, knotting, sketching with natural materials only, estimation, making a rope ladder with just rope, writing a letter on natural materials with just a pencil and observation, etc. After lunch we could start breaking camp. By 4pm the camp sites had to be cleared up completely and then the results were given out. First was the Eagle Patrol of Hillside, Second the Buffalo Patrol of Riverside and Third the Eagle Patrol of Waterford. We were only 3 1/2 points behind the winners
Julian Scales
Sable Patrol

Editors note:- By coming second in the Assegai Competition Riverside maintained one of its oldest traditions. Since 1965 Riverside have come first once (1966), fith once (1968) and second four times (1965, 67, 69, & 70). In 1965 we were 2 1/2 points behind the leaders, in 1967 1/2 point and this year were very close being 3 1/2 points behind.

Hockey Match
Hillside Scouts invited our Troop to play two hockey matches. Both sides. Junior and Senior, turned up at Hillside school for the fixtures.
The juniors, in a scrappy curtain raiser, went down to a more talented side. The Seniors too went down quite handsomely in an even more scrappy game.
The standard of hockey in these games was poor due to a lack of skill thus it turned out to be more of a rough and tumble affair.
Andrew Lawson
Venture Patrol

The Cycle Tour
The cycle tour was about 80 miles long. The participants, Robert Felgate, Ian Courtney, Peter Corbet-Owen and John Pridgeon set out from Marimba road and arrived at Fort Usher by lunch time. We camped the first night at Maleme Dam and then proceeded to Gwanda on a fairly good road, however it was so hot that we only made Nlanket Mine.
Unfortunately Ian Courtney had to be taken home because of sun-stroke. On seeing the mistake we had made on the route, we decided that there was not much point in proceeding towards Gwanda so we made camp at Blanket Mine in a graveyard!
In the morning we carried on toward Fort Usher and managed to reach it before night fall. I think we all had slight sunstroke because we felt so bilious.
We reached Bulawayo by lunchtime the next day feeling tired but knowing we had achieved something worthwhile.
Impala Patrol

The Cook-Out Competition
On the 15th August 1970 the annual Scout Cook-Out Competition was held, with Scout troops from Bulawayo taking part, at the Jamboree site near the Hillside dams from 2 to 5pm.
The Judges were from different Scout troops and the competition was divided into 4 sections. Our Troop entered at least one team in each section, two being entered in section B.
I was in one of these teams with Ian Courtney as leader. We had to cook in aluminium foil, no pans or the like, and had to bring all our own equipment. Rob Felgate entered the section which had to bake a cake, Antony Leiman another section and John Pridgeon and his team entered the junior section.
After cooking was finished, and we had prepared our Hunters Stew, we were judged and then had to clear up everything, fill in the fireplace and fall in at our site where more judges examined the site for neatness. Thereafter we fell in and speeches were made by the Judges and the prizes presented.
The 11th did very well, collected 1st and 2nd prizes in Section B and 3rd prize in C and D as well.
It was a lot of fun and the competition was great. I hope we will do even better next year.
C. Miles
Sable Patrol

Master Cook Badge
Cook - Ian Courtney
Assistant - John Pridgeon
Assistant - Nicky Coom
On a hot Saturday in September we were driven out to Connolly's Farm in the tribal Trust Land by Mr Watridge, who also took some of our stores.
We arrived before any of the others, had a quick glimpse round and then unloaded the food for 72 Cubs and a few adults. No sooner had we finished than the Cubs came along in the truck and we had to get a move on and set out the Pennycools and swiss rolls for their tea. When we were ready Mrs Fulton told us to ring the bell and the little Cubs came from all directions.
After tea we cleaned up and thought about their lunch and decided the menu would be:-
Salad - Lettuce, Tomatoes, Carrots, Cucumber, Sweetcorn.
Vienna Sausages, potato crisps, bread and butter.
Pudding - fresh oranges.
We had a lot of trouble peeling the carrots - they were like rubber! We did as many as we could and then started on the rest of the lunch. The Vienna sausages had to boil, the salads and sweetcorn put in basins or buckets and everything put in the canteen, ready for serving. Everyone was hungry but all had enough to eat.
When everything was clean we had about an hours rest and then gave the Cubs their afternoon cold drinks. We had to clean up again and Mr Stewart came to find out how the lunch had been. Later that afternoon we started peeling potatoes and got blisters, and then our fingers went numb. The meat had been put in early as it was Silverside.
The menu for supper was:-
Pot Roast, Potatoes, Peas, Gravy
Pudding - Fruit salad - Oranges, bananas, apples, pineapples, paw-paw.
The peas and potatoes were put into boiling water and then we started on the Fruit salad, which made me hungry. Everybody liked the supper and asked for seconds and then we bought on the coffee which everyone likes on a camp. We washed the pots and pans and left them to dry then went to bed.
Sunday - breakfast menu:-
Scrambled eggs, cereal, bread & butter with jam, coffee.
For this one bucket of eggs was cracked and cooked and it made 2 basins which proved enough for everyone. Not many wanted cereal as they had had too much egg, bread and jam and then coffee was served.
We spent our time cleaning as we were not feeling to energetic. For tea we had to get the biscuits and cool drink ready. All the Cubs complained that we had given them too much food to eat, and we had noticed this by looking in the bin after meals.
For lunch we got the leftovers which were:- Salad, cheese, hard boiled eggs, bread and butter.
pudding - fresh bananas.
We had a few left-overs but the problem was soon solved. After that camp we never wanted to cook again as we had blisters..
N. Coom
Impala Patrol

This is an annual event and JOTA stands for "Jamboree On The Air". This year it was held on the 17th-18th October and the following members of Riverside attended:-
Andrew Lawson (Patrol Leader), I.Courtney (A. Patrol Leader), N.Coom, J.Pridgeon, C.Miles, D.Davies, B.Wilkinson, A.Mason and Jeffrey and Jerrard Swindells.
When we arrived at Gordon Park we found that there had been very strong wind the night before and it had blown the aerial over, situated outside the "Knapman hut". All the radio equipment was on load from local Radio Hams.
After we had set up camp, we went back to the "Leask" and found that the aerial was in the process of being re-assembled. We returned to camp and when on duty after supper we saw that they, the radio operators, had contacted many stations all over southern Africa and one in India. In the hour that we stayed there that evening we picked up several callers in Northern and Southern America. We also got quite a few contacts in Europe and were fortunate in picking up a private caller from Hawaii - not really operating on JOTA.
By the end of the two days, I feel we had thoroughly enjoyed hearing from all the other Scouts all over the world and also, in the time we were in the "shack" we learned quite a bit about radios.
These were two days well spent and our grateful thanks go to the local branch of the Amateur Radio Society of Rhodesia whose members operated the radios throughout the weekend.
Sable Patrol

The Scout Christmas Party
On November 27th Mr Felgate (our Scout Leader) held a party for us. It started in the Scout Hall at 7:30pm.
First of all we were split up into two patrols, Kudu and Impala, the latter playing darts, and the former playing table-tennis. When we had finished playing we started on the food (we all had to bring something with us). This was the quietest time as everyone was too busy to talk. Then we changed round and Kudu Patrol played darts and Impala patrol played Table-tennis.
At the end, everything was packed up and the top 3 winners of darts and table-tennis received a small prize each. At 10pm we departed for home having had a most enjoyable evening.
P. Balmer
Kudu Patrol

The Christmas Scout Dance
Early in December the senior scouts of the Riverside Scout Troop held their annual Christmas dance. Each Scout had to bring a partner to this dance.
It was held in the Guild hall which was decorated by the Scouts themselves - candles being used instead of lights because of the heat and these added to the Christmas atmosphere. Two of the boys had prepared and excellent buffet supper.
All the girls came in long dresses and this also added to the festive atmosphere. I think everyone enjoyed their evening even through it was very hot and there seemed to be few hitches in the beginning.
Mr Corbet-Owen was, very kindly, the Chaperon for the evening. I would like to thank the Scouts on behalf of the girls who attended, for a most enjoyable evening.
M. Felgate
Riverside Lone Ranger

Venture Scouts
As from January 1st 1971 Venture Scouting in Rhodesia will no longer exist. Our Troop at the moment, has a strong Venture patrol to whom this ruling is most disappointing, particularly when we reminisce over our scouting days.
Most of us joined the Troop about 6 or 7 years ago. In those days the Troop was small, only having about ten members and we were the juniors. We were trained in the ways of Scouting by our Seniors. We passed our tests and climbed respective ladders through the patrols, until eventually we reached the top. Those that were seniors when we joined have now left. We were nowhere near the greatest scouts ever - only one got his Queen's Scout Badge, but we achieved a lot through Scouting.
In competitions we have always done well. We have won the Assegai Competition once and have come second four times and on two of these occasions we were only half a point behind the leaders. At Cook-out Competitions we have never walked away without at least one of our teams winning a prize, and on a couple of occasions each team entered has won something. At various other competitions we have always done well.
For us these moments of glory are probably the best remembered of all. One of our earliest memories, and probably the earliest memory of all Scouts, is our first camp. This was probably the first time in our lives that we went into the bush and slept without a parent caring for us. This was most exciting. But on our first night out, like every other Scout, we were a little nervous and our Seniors took advantage of this by terrifying us with stories of the Izzi-Daw-Daw (a walking, man-eating tree). For what they did to us then we are now thankful, because that was when we changed from little boys into Scouts.
From then on our Scouting was far more enjoyable. Our camping life has become more and more enjoyable and reached a climax with the Easter camp at Selukwe. While we have been seniors we have seen boys that were terrorised on camp, grow up and replace us in the Troop. They are the ones who will be the "heroes" of the new Scout in the future.
We have formed a group of boys which is the finest type of group any boy could belong to. There is very little that we have not tried, whether it be good or bad, but through our Scouting we have managed to pull through these a lot wiser for having tried them. It is for this reason, more than any other, that we are grateful to Scouting. We have achieved a lot from Scouting and we hope that the little we have put back has been gratefully appreciated.
There is one person in Scouting to whom we owe a very special thanks - our Scoutmaster - Mr Hudson Felgate, who stood up to all sorts of trouble from us. No one could have taken our "pranks" better and he has always been available to assist us in any way possible. We hope that in the future we may be able to give him assistance in the same manner that he has given it to us. We also wish to thank the Committee for what they have done for us in particular Mrs Corbet-Owen for cleaning the hall for us.
Thank you Mr Felgate, Committee and Scouts for the most enjoyable days of our lives.
The Venture Patrol
Mike Franklin, Mike Halgreen, Andy Lawson, Angus Lawson, Ed Marshall, Steve Read.

(sorry to put this editorial etc at the end - it was the first page in the original Rumbles... but less exciting than the Selekwe Camp! - hg)

Almost exactly a year ago the first issue of the Riverside Boy Scouts' Newsletter came out in print. In that issue Mr Felgate promised that the issue would be the first of many such newsletters, printed to inform parents of Scouts of what had taken place recently in the Troop, and what the scouts had achieved.
Well, here is the second newsletter, printed, as it happens, one year after the first. At first it was the intention of the Editorial Board consisting of 2 people (WHO??) to bring the newsletter out two, three, or four times a year, but as the year has progressed it has become obvious that this original good intention would be practically impossible because of the relatively small number of people available to write articles, the pressure of other work and interests and the fact that it was far more economical, and interesting for the reader for one "bumper" edition to be produced every year. The Editorial Board would appreciate comments and suggestions from its readers.

Perhaps the greatest dilemma facing the would-be scout today is what other people, especially his non-scouting friends, will think of him. It seems that Scouting is not a popular movement among young people in the fourteen to nineteen year age-group. I feel that there are several reasons for this - one of the main ones being the traditional Scout uniform. Up to about ten years ago most people had a high regard for uniform and anyone who wore a uniform. More recently, however, this respect for uniforms has died with this age group, as the respect for short hair and baggy trousers has died away.
The reason for this change is not for this magazine to discuss but the fact that the change has occurrs and is robbing the movement of many members. However, there is a second side to this point and that is a boy of strong character will not allow a thing as trivial as the temporary disapproval of his casual friends, or a fashion in his age group, to put him off something he believes in. For this reason it could be that Scouting draws more people of real calibre and less sheep. The Scouting population , though it could do with bolstering, does not need sheep. Scouting activities call for initiative and a great deal of interest and hard work. A person who lacks interest or is lazy, will not do well as a scout and Scouting will not be able to help him because - before he can benefit from Scouting his full co-operation is required.

The Editor (who was he?)


We started the year with 24 Scouts, including 8 new recruits from last years Cub Scout pack, in addition to 7 Senior Scouts in the newly formed Venture Patrol. Numbers grew during the year and despite the fact that 3 scouts left the Troop, the strength of the troop at the year end was 29 Scouts, 6 Senior Scouts and a Senior Scout, James Felgate, elevated to a warranted Assistant Scout Leader.
With the growing pains that we have experienced the patrols have had to be reorganised and a number of the younger Scouts have had to be promoted to Patrol and Assistant Patrol Leaders. Any changes made, are not made the Scout Leaders, but by the Patrol Leaders Council which met throughout the year. This council has an important function in a Scout Troop and is responsible for the smooth running of the Troop in general. At the Annual General Meeting of the Group Committee, P/L Robert Felgate was presented with the Chief Scout's Award by Mr Les Strattford, Provincial commissioner. This is a "new look" award, the first to be gained by a scout in the Bulawayo North District.
The Scouts once again did good work at the Trade Fair where they manned the gates, sold programs, etc. In all 119 duty shifts were undertaken in addition to 13 Red Cross ditties during this ten day period. Well done Scouts, keep up these good turns!!!
A new innovation this year which proved most successful was an "Open Evening" for the benefit of new Scout parents. The evening started with the investing of 9 recruits with the Scout Membership badge, and this was followed by a short talk by the G.S.L. on 3 activities in which the Troop were involved, in order to tell the parents something of scouting which their sons failed to mention at home. These were elaborated on by 3 Senior Scouts who gave excellent talks on the Annual Troop Camp at Selukwe - James Felgate, Assegai Competition - Andy Lawson and the "Rolling Stone" competition - Micheal Halgreen. I am most grateful to the support given by the parents at this Open Evening, it is this interest shown that make my task so much easier in running the Troop.
Our appeal last year for someone to take over and run the Cub Scout Pack met with no success and after 13 years the pack was forced to close. A number of Riverside Cub Scouts living in the Waterford area were fortunate in being able to join the newly formed Waterford Pack, but the younger boy of Riverside interested in Scouting is still uncatered for.
If anyone is prepared to help will they please contact Mr Felgate - telephone 888705.
Group Scout Leader.

Group Scout Treasurer's Report
Most of us fully appreciate the benefits which scouting brings to the young people who take an active part in the movement. However, there are people who still look upon scouting as a kind of "social club" - a place where the lads congregate on a Friday evening. On the other hand, some young scouts facing the long haul towards the award of the Queens Scout Badge may groan at the prospect of having to work so hard for the badges, at having no organised patrols on camps and otherwise assist making the organisation work.
These lads may be excused for sometimes feeling that Scouting is nearly as bad as school! In fact, scouting is neither an educational nor a social activity although it does contain elements of each, but it certainly requires an active organisation at various levels to make it effective. For the most part, Scout Leaders are dedicated people who devote many hours each week voluntarily to the movement. Even at provincial level peoples' time for the most part is given gratuitously. Not many of us would want to control a Group of thirty or so young lads of different ages even if we were paid for the job, let alone doing it just for the fun of it.
There is one official who carries out the function of Travelling Commissioner who is full time and paid. In addition, the movement has to look after the buildings it owns in that they have to be cleaned, repaired and insured and so on. The local groups must find the money partly fro their own needs and partly to meet the costs of the provincial administration. Local funds must also provide and maintain tents and other camping equipment and meet all sorts of small items of expense, even down to the cost of providing woggles, which are issued to Scouts when they first join.
How do we raise the money? Well, over the years the Group Committee have tried all sorts of fund raising schemes. Jumble Sales, Bingo Drives, Raffles and even asking local firms to make donations, are firm favourites. This year we tried something different. We had our Walk. This proved enormously successful in that we raised approximately $800 and in doing so were able to clear our debts and leave a little over $350 in the kitty. Mr Colin Courtney was in charge of the organisation of the walk and thanks must be extended to him and his willing helpers for the success of the event. As you know, the Dens are now just about completed and the painting have been done for the most part by the Scouts themselves, who are to be congratulated on the fine job done.
Finally, we should like to mention that the responsibility of keeping the Scout hall clean has fallen on the shoulders of Mrs Corbet-Owen and our thanks go to her for attending to this difficult and unending task. This job would be made a lot easier if everybody ensured that the Hall was always left as clean as when they found it.
The Group Committee consists for the most part of parents of Scouts and Cubs, and their job is not difficult. The purpose of the committee is to look after the finances and property of the Group and to give such assistance to the Scouts as they may require, particularly as regards the provision of equipment and transport arrangements. The work of the committee is made easier if the load can be spread over as many members as possible, and for this reason we should like to see all those who are able to spare a little time, put their names forward for the nomination at the next Annual General Meeting.
Treasurer of the Group Committee.

Comment From Assistant Scout Leader
The essence of Scouting lies in its motto - "Be Prepared". In two simple words the entire movement can be summed up. Scouting does not mean coming down to Scouts on Friday evenings, doing a few tests, having a game and going home at 9:30pm. It means far more than that. It is the daily preparation for manhood; to prepare yourself for future life - its adventures, emergencies and accidents. Each and everyone of us must prepare ourselves to shoulder manfully life responsibilities. Here the Scout Law is of inestimable value. If you live up to the Scout Law and all it means, then you can truly say you are a man and a scout.
Moreover, Friday night is not a crèche evening as far too many parents tend to think. If they are interested in their sons being a scout, they too must shoulder the responsibility of assisting their sons in all hai scouting activities, ie. transport to and from activities and meetings and supporting the troops various functions.
It is so feeble to hear a boy say that he does not intend to be a scout any longer just because he has had a fight with someone at scouts or more ridiculous still because he is not progressing any further. If this is so, whose fault is it? It is most certainly that of the boy concerned. It is up to him to ask to be shown a test or be passed, and up to the parent to encourage and help him. The Scout Leaders are there for you to approach them; it is not their job to "nursemaid" you. If that were so it would necessitate one Scouter per boy!! What is more, if you do not show some interest, how can you expect us to show interest in you.
If you are not proficient at a test and fail, don’t give up in despair, persevere and try again and again if necessary. Perseverance is a major requisite in Scouting, and indeed, life.
As a famous person once wrote:-
"There is a Destiny that makes us brothers
No one goes his own way alone.
All that we give into the lives of others
Comes back into our own."
Assistant Scout Leader.

X x X x X x X x X x

Mrs V.Lawson - Cutting of Stencils.
Rev. A. Miles - All Saints and St Modwen Church for duplicating.

Website Last Updated :