fleur-tiny      11th Riverside (Bulawayo) Scout Troop - December 1969 Riverside Rumbles Magazine, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe 


11th Riverside (Bulawayo) Scout Troop
December 1969 Riverside Rumbles Magazine, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe

December, 1969.

I am hoping that this issue will be the first of many from Riverside in order to give parents of Scouts and Cub Scouts some idea of what takes place at Troop and pack meetings, and the various outdoor activities at Gordon Park. A newsletter also gives scout and cub leaders an opportunity of putting over a message to the boy and parent alike.


Due to pressure of work, Mr. and Mrs. David Anderson will be unable to continue running our Cub Scouts next year and it would be a pity if, after continuing for 13 years, the pack had to close for the lack of a leader. I, therefore, appeal to all cub parents to let me (Tel. 888705) or Mr David Anderson (Tel. 888076) know if they are aware if anyone prepared to take on the running of the cubs or if any parent will volunteer his or her own services. This is very worthwhile service in our oommunity, and experience is NOT essential as one soon learns!!! On behalf of the Group Committee I would like to thank David and Sal for all the hard work and time they have devoted to the Cubs at Riverside.

Group Scout Leader.


One of the functions of the Scout Group Committee is to provide the necessary facilities for the Scouts and Cubs to hold their meetings and carry out their normal functions. To do this, money is required. Over the years we have financed the Scout Hall and purchased tents and other camping equipment when needed.

Recently we have undertaken the building of two pairs of dens in front of the Scout Hall - one each being for the Guides, Brownies, Scouts and Cubs.

Whilst the Group Committee is directly concerned only with the Scouts and the Cubs, it was decided to provide facilities for Guides and Brownies as well, Although we were able to build the dens very economically - some materials were donated and others obtained at very favourable prices - we were forced to borrow part of the total cost. In fact, we were lent 250. by the Trustees of the MacNab Trust and we should like to place on record our gratitude for the assistance we have been given. This Trust uses its funds to help Scout Groups to build halls and other amenities and it is our intention to show our appreciation of the help given to us by doing all we can to repay the loan as soon as possible. By doing this the money will become available for the benefit of other Scout Groups and it is hardly necessary to point out that there are always more plans than money available to carry them out.

To this end I'd, it is our intention to run various fund raising events in the coming year and we hope to receive your continued support in this direction.

Apart from dealing with the finishing touches to the dens, we will also have to spend time and money on the maintenance of our grounds and buildings and, a special plea is made to parents to assist all those responsible for these tasks. You will appreciate that the heavy burden rests both on the Uniform Brigade and the Scout Group Committee, which will be lightened only if the burden is spread among a larger number of supporters.


There are four Patrols in the Scout Troop and as you will read further on, each patrol was asked to contribute articles of interest that had taken place during the past year.

Important to the scout are the badges that he has gained and his progress in the troop. The follow badgers were gained:-

Kudu Patrol
James Felgate - Queens Scout, Bushmans Thong, Interpreters.
Ian Courtney - First Aid, Backwoodsman, Cooks, Missioner
Peter Corbet-Owen - Cooks.
Antony Leiman - Ambulance.
Nick Coom - First Aid, Missioner.

Eland Patrol
Mike Halgreen - Ambulance, Cub Instructors
Robert Felgate - First Aid, Backwoodsman, Master Cooks, Scout Cord, Missioner.
John Pridgeon - Cooks.
Colin Miles - First Aid, Missioner.

Impala Patrol
Bryan Nicholson - Ambulance, Cub Instructors.
Edwin Marshall - Ambulance.

Sable Patrol.
Steven Read - Ambulance.
Mike Franklin - Ambulance.

The 20th July was a proud day for Riverside Scouts when James Felgate was presented with his Queen's Scout badge and certificate at a large parade and church service held at Centenary Park. This is the first time a Riverside Scout has achieved this award, and the troop are to be congratulated on their excellent turn out that day.

In addition to troop meetings, camping and fun with other troops, the scouts have also done a number of good turns by manning the gates at the Trade Fair for the duration of the Fair and assisting in the selling of tickets and programmes at the Clyde Football Match in June, motor car racing in August and the Model Aircraft Display in October. Well done Scouts - keep up the good turns next year.

SELUKWE CAMP - R.Nicholson (Impala Patrol).

Last Easter the troop camp was held near Selukwe at a place called Ferney Creek. We arrived at Ferney Creek on Friday at midday. As soon as we arrived we off-loaded, picked our campsite, each patrol picking their own spot to pitch their tent, and had lunch. From that moment onwards we had nothing but fun.

There were three patrols in all, Lion (Jimmy Felgate), Leopard (Michael Halgreen) and my own, Tiger Patrol. The camp was run by Mr. Felgate with Tony Hadfield's assistance. Throughout the camp points were awarded to each patrol, with different marks for various activities and competitions, including points for cooking, cleanliness of the tents and campsites. Whilst each patrol cooked a days meals. the others went swimming or exploring. I think everyone will agree that the food was excellent. A tuck shop was present for anyone who wanted to buy sweets.

All the scouts participated in activities such as "The Dead Mans Crawl" across a rope slung between two trees in the bush. Another activity which was enjoyed by all was the "blind trek". Each patrol went separately, all blindfolded, and had to follow a string tied to trees winding through the bush. Whilst moans came from the patrol clambering over rocks and through bushes, the other scouts who were watching were shedding tears of laughter.

Ferney Creek was about 1/2 mile from the campsite set in thick green lush undergrowth. It was a lovely spot and visited many times by the troop. Swimming in the nearby pool and waterfall was great fun, the former fed by a flowing ice cold mountain stream.

In front of the camp site was a vast expanse of flat ground where the troop held its football match. Leopard Patrol were the winners. A visit to the Camperdown Falls was thoroughly enjoyed, on the way passing beautiful views of the Selukwe Hills.

On our last morning we were taken on a conducted tour of the Rhodesia Chrome Mines where we were taken by train out to the Peak Mine. This proved to be extremely interesting, learning many new facts about Chrome. To round it off each person was given a piece of Chrome. The camp turned out to be a huge success and was enjoyed by all.

ASSEGAI COMPETITION 1969 - Jim Felgate (Kudu Patrol).

The Annual Assegai Competition (the premier Scout Competition in Matabeleland) was held at Gordon Park on 7th-8th June. We entered a Patrol of eight scouts known as the Buffalo Patrol, namely:
James Felgate (Patrol Leader). John Pridgeon (No.5)
Rob Felgate (A.Patrol Leader). Peter Corbet-Owen (No.6)
Angus Lawson (No.3). Colin Anderson (No.7)
Ian Courtney (No.4). Nicky Coom (No.8).

All competition Patrols (13 patrols this year) had to take their own camping equipment, together with all necessary food for the weekend. We arrived at Gordon Park at 1.15 p.m. as the competition started at 2.00pm. All Patrol Leaders were given sealed instructions and our campsite number. We had to report to a specific judge at given time for each event and were penalized for lateness.

With our sealed instructions was a list of "Spare Time Activities"!!! (This was a big joke - as if we had any time to spare!). They were:- Make and erect a 'camp refrigerator', make a pot or Billy Lifter to avoid burning fingers, make a camp chair, make and demonstrate a hay box out of natural materials, collect and name 12 leaves and mount them on a piece of cardboard.

Saturday dinner proved to be a great success. We had to invite a scout from another patrol to have dinner with us and it was he who had to judge our meal! Thus we had to do our best to impress him! One of our scouts was invited to another patrol and the person concerned was given particular points on which to mark. If a particular patrol's meal was not up to scratch the "poor invited" Scout suffered, as in my case, and the patrol was marked accordingly.

The various tests covered a wide field of scouting, i.e. estimation, scout promise and law, compass and map work, axemanship, first aid, tracking, knotting, etc. We were extremely rushed on the Saturday, with not a minute to spare. That night we were up till 2.00 a.m. working on our camp gadgets and constructing the camp chair, which was achieved with a certain measure of success. By the time we turned in the younger members of the patrol were almost asleep on their feet!

We were rudely awakened on Sunday at 5.30 a.m. by a boisterous neighbouring patrol. At 9.00 a.m. a Scouts own service was held, after which all camp sites were examined and the various STA's were taken to the judges for scrutiny.

At 5.00 p.m. the results of the Assegai were announced and we learnt to our delight that we had come second, 1/2 a point behind the winners, 8th Hillside, and 2 points ahead of our rivals, 10th Waterford. For the record this is the second youngest team we have entered in this annual competition.

I now take this opportunity of thanking each and every member of my patrol for co-operating whole-heartedly which led to a good team spirit and the success we achieved. Thanks also for all the scouts who helped before the actual competition took place in instructing the younger scouts.

G.S.L.'s Note: Incidentally, this was our 5th Assegai competion entered and our record is:- 1965 - 2nd, 1966 - 1st tied, 1967 2nd, 1968 - 5th and 1969 2nd. In 1967 we came second by 1/2 point behind the winners. Who knows what 1970 will bring!

THE 14THS' VISIT - Colin Miles (Eland Patrol).

On the 22nd August, the day schools broke up, the 14th North End Scout Troop paid us a visit with some 20 scouts. We got along well with our visitors and played games including rope throwing and "Subs". The 14th proved their worth by beating us 2 games to 1 in the rope throwing, "Subs" is a very popular game and we played it several times.

Also included in the itinerary was an entirely new game to both troops, the "Chalk Circles". Two or three circles were drawn on the floor, each one a different size. The lights were put out and, within a given time, say seven seconds, groups of scouts had to get within these circles.

At the end there was plenty of food and drink for all, and it concluded a most enjoyable evening.

ANNUAL COOK OUT COMPETITION - Edwin Marshall (Impala Patrol).

The 1969 Cook Out was held on 16th August at Milton Junior School. This year it was organised by Mr. Gordon Caw, APC Scouts, who tried to bring in a new look to the competition by the addition of two sections involving baking. The menus for the various age sections were as follows:-
Section A (Scouts under 14). Bake half a dozen scones and serve with tea.
Section B (Scouts over 15). Bake a sandwich layer cake, which must be filled with jam etc, and must be iced.
Section C (Scouts of any age) Tinfoil cooking (no saucepans allowed). Mixed grill, and two vegetables (Frozen veg. not permitted). Baked apple. Coffee.

We put in three teams (3 scouts to a team), one in section B and two in Section C. The competition ended with Riverside walking off with 1st and 2nd prize in Section C, The teams were:-
Edwin Marshall (Cook)
Bryan Nicholson.
Mike Franklin.

Robert Felgate (Cook).
Angus Lawson.
Ian Courtney.

The prizes, donated by Coca Cola, were :

1st - Handy gas cookers.
2nd - Large pen knives.
3rd Small knives and a knife, fork and spoon set for camping.

RUGBY MATCH AGAINST 8th HILLSIDE - Andrew Lawson (Sable Patrol).

The two sides met in what turned out to be a very clean game of rugby between two fairly powerful teams at Hamilton School, the 8th's home ground. The only injuries, a broken arm and concussion, were caused by the carelessness of the injured. These were both suffered by players from Hillside, who dominated both the scrums and lineouts. However, Riverside played a hard fighting game and did well to hold their opponents to a 12-3 victory. All the poinis came from tries in this most enjoyable game.

SCOUT AND GUIDE CAMP - Mike Halgreen (Eland Patrol).

On 2Oth-2lst September the first ever combined Scout and Guide camp took place at Gordon Park, part of the New Look in Scouting is to bring the two movements closer together. So that the organisers would not be swamped with applications to attend, attendance was 'by invitation only and all those participating had to be over 15 years of age. Our troop was fortunate and three scouts were selected, Jimmy Felgate, Edwin Marshall and myself.

The following is the programme that was offered:-
3 p.m. The camp started with 9 scouts and 9 guides in formation around the flag pole in the training ground. Mr. Gordon Caw, the chief instructor, then told us the programme for the camp and general instructions before being invited to the Leask for tea. After enjoying our tea, we were then split up into three patrols consisting of 3 scouts and 3 guides. All cooking and as far as possible camp work was done by the patrols.

5 p.m. We assembled in camp clothes to run a series of obstacle races which soon had us panting, after which we drew our stores for the camp and started preparing our supper.

6 p.m. We attended a camp fire which, despite a portable record player which was not working, was a great success. We sang for over an hour and after each patrol had done their camp fire 'skits' we turned in for the night. (Ha! Ha! at 9.30 p.m.)

6.30 a.m. (Sunday). Most of the scouts and guides were up at this time standing round their patrol fires cooking and preparing breakfast of sausages, bacon and baked beans. At 8 a.m. a camp inspection was undertaken by the camp instructors and we than assembled around the flag pole for a short Scouts and Guides own service. After the service we got into camp clothes again for a series of courses which we were to undertake during the day. These were Abseiling, most popular! follow a trail blindfolded, pitch a tent on a raft blindfolded, Build an ariel runway. After this we had a tea break, and then given a project of analysing five types of wood for their burning characteristics.

12.30 p.m. Lunch consisted of cold meats and salad and fruit after which we packed up the tents and equipment, leaving our camp sites in a spotless condition, of course! The camp ended at 3 p.m. and was much enjoyed by everyone.

During free time after lunch a discussion took place on what we, the scouts and guides at this camp, could do to help the Bulawayo Public. It was decided that two of our number, Mary Webb and Jimmy Felgate, would approach King George VI Centre and offer our services for an hour each week.

Editors Note: This suggestion was taken up and an approach made to the Headmaster of KG VI, and for 1 1/2 hours each week for the next nine weeks a scout and guide who were at this camp, assisted at the centre with the childrens afternoon sport.Well done Guides and Scouts.

SOCCER MATCH OF THE SEASON - Robert Felgate (Eland Patrol).

In July, a soccer match with a difference was played at C.B.C. grounds when our scouts and the Riverside Guides took on the might of the Hillside Scouts and Hillside Guides, with 6 girls and 6 boys to each side. The game caused much amusement and enjoyment although the Scouts were not impressed with the miss kicking of the fairer sex and frequent handling of the ball! However, in the second half the guides were really becomming expert and even took a shot at heading the ball!! The result... a draw, two all. A curtain raiser for the younger scouts of the two troops was played earlier, a most keenly fought game, was won by Hillside Scouts, 3 - 1.

The Guides and Junior Scouts provided the eats and drinks after the match which were soon polished off, and the support of the parents who came to watch the match was appreciated. I am sure all would like to play again, perhaps next year.

J-O-T-A - Antony Leiman (Kudu Patrol).

Jamboree on the Air is an annual event when scouts all over the world talk to each other radio on a given date for a period of 24 hours, this year the l8th-l9th October. We had a patrol taking part at a transmitting station at Gordon Park, and they were:- Bryan Nicholson (Patrol Leader), Edwin Marshall (A.Patrol Leader), Robert Felgate, Peter Corbet-Owen, Nicky Coom and myself.

Our Patrol Leader drove us out to Gordon Park in his Dad's van which was loaded with a tent and all our camping equipment. We arrived to find most of the transmitting and receiving equipment already installed at the Leask.

After setting up our camp we went down to the Leask to see what was happening and were just in time to see the errection of the main radio mast of some 40 feet. We all helped in getting it up but unfortunately the metal hole supporting the aerials snapped, and it was only with the help of everyone at the park that the mast was finally erected two hours later.

The scouts did not actually operate the sets, this was done by the Radio Society of Rhodesia, but we all listened in to the conversations of Scouts from South Africa, and as far distant as Japan. One of our most interesting contacts was "Hans", a Norwegian at Christiansund, who put up his aerial at the side of a fjord.

Everyone enjoyed themselves and I think it was a huge success.

PAINTING OF DENS AND HALL - Stephen Read (Sable Patrol).

During the past two and a half months painting has been proceeding on the new dens and portions of the interior of the Scout Hall. This work has been done mainly by the senior scouts although some of the junior Scouts assisted with the painting of the steel doors.

Last holidays Bryan Nicholson, Edwin Marshall, Robert Felgate, about ten others and myself assembled one day to paint the four doors and windows of the new dens in green. I must add that Bryan had already spent several hours at the hall plastering some very obvious cracks on the interior walls of the Scout Hall. The troop met the next Friday and some of us started painting the inside walls of the scout den. We had to apply the first coat with brushes which was a very tedious affair.

We have now completed the Scouts Den with a second coat on the walls which was easier because it was applied with a roller. Also, the wooden beams under the roof were painted the same colour as the walls, which is a sort of orangy or pinky beige.

In addition, we painted the east wall of the hall a grey-blue colour, lighter than the previous dark green, and this has the effect of making the hall look a lot longer and lighter. We also painted all the walls under the rubbing strip the same colour, and touched up the cracks, that had been filled with as near as possible the same shade as before. A new piece of glass was fitted into one of the windows by Angus Lawson.

Our work is far from finished but I think we have made significant headway and should finish the painting early next year.


Well done Scouts on telling me, and I am sure many other parents, of your activities of which we were previously unaware.

Finally parents please answer our G.S.L.'s appeal with the response to which he is entitled - I am sure you don't want the Cubs to close.


* * * *


Have any books to display here? Do email them in...