RIVERSIDE RUMBLES 1972 11th Riverside Scout Troop


11th Riverside Scout Troop

"R i v e r s i d e R u m b l e s"
R i v e r s i d e B o y S c o u t s
N e w s l e t t e r N o 4

Year ending December 1972

The 4th Selukwe Camp
The 1972 Easter Camp was held at Selukwe, at the Ferny Creek caravan site from 31st March to 3rd April. This was perhaps the best camp from the point of view of entertainment (Izzidwadwas, etc) but the weather almost from the start was the worst which we have ever experienced at Selukwe. It rained almost the whole of Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
We set off from the Scout hall at about 9:30am on Friday and arrived at Selukwe at about 1:30pm. The first thing we did was to set up our tents. Then the patrols carried out their assigned tasks. For the first time there were 4 patrols, which shows how popular the camp has become. The patrols were Lion under John Pridgeon's leadership, Leopard under my command, with Tiger's and Cheetah's Patrol Leaders being C.Anderson and R.Hatfield respectively. Lion Patrol set up the kitchen, Leopard the quartermasters stores, and Tiger did the flagpole while Cheetah brought along a "prefabricated" low platform for use in a stretcher race. Camp gadgets were also produced. The camp, as it is each year, was run on a competitive basis.
After tea, we had a game about 100 yards away from our camp. My patrol was the first to do the cooking; we were to do the first three meals; supper breakfast and lunch. We certainly did not starve as extra rations in the form of sweets and crisps as well as cokes could be bought from the tuck shop. After dinner we (that is experienced campers) went with our patrols on a trail, with spots of paint and strips of toilet paper to mark the route, the paper looking conspicuous on the tree branches. As we went along, strange grunts and lights were noticed. The little scouts who had never camped before grabbed the P.L.'s jackets tightly lest the unknown beings pounce on them! We enjoyed ourselves very much that night.
After a peaceful night my patrol rose early to cook breakfast. Except for a few rubbery eggs it was satisfactory! After flag break and inspection a morning of competitive assignments followed. We had to send a message using staves and scarves only, make a stretcher with staves and ropes for later use, cross an imaginary river using a 50 ft rope and finally, we had to make some plaster casts of anything we wished. Rain set in once again and John Prigeon had to cook supper under a hastily erected shelter. In spite of this, the meal was good. Earlier that evening we had constructed a commando bridge across the pool and any volunteers usually ended up soaked after we had jerked the ropes.
We were due to have a campfire, but, owing to the rain, we did a night hike instead. We were driven to a spot overlooking the camp and were given directions as to where to go. We all eventually ended up on a hill with a truck and some diggings before returning to a hot cup of cocoa.
We had a damp night, but moral was high, and the only mishap was Cheetah Patrol's tent leaking and soaking everyone inside. A Scout's Own was held after flag break as it was Easter Sunday, and then we proceeded by car to the Camperdown Falls. This was great fun, sliding down the falls on battered posteriors. Everybody had a couple of bruises and everybody was completely soaked. Often we slid unexpectedly after slipping. One of my patrol and I had the unfortunate experience of being stung by wasps, inhabiting a bank. Rob, John, Nick and I went off on our own and visited the gullies eroded in a mine dump down the side of a hill near the falls. We raced down on our shoes and stopped about 300 yards down the hill, losing half an inch of rubber off the soles of our shoes in the process. The mornings fun ended, we had lunch and a brief rest period. Then came the 'Great Ferny Creek Stretcher Race'. On our unwieldy stretchers we carried a young member of each patrol, and raced round the caravan park to the pool. We had to get in and carry the patient and stretcher above the water to the other end lengthways! An exhausting climb up a steep hill followed, after which we dragged the stretcher under the low platform built by Cheetah Patrol. Four exhausted sweat-streaked patrols, with a couple of "stretcher - sick" patients returned to camp. Before supper, we had a soccer game in the mud. Anybody who went for a tumble had a mud-bath.
When it was getting dark, and the young Scouts were returning from their showers, one poor individual (name withheld!) slipped in the river of mud by the kitchen, revealed a bare behind to all those who watched, including girls, and ran blushing to the nearest tent. In his hurry he left behind his soap and flannel! Our laughter was louder than the rain which had begun to fall. Because of this rain, we held our sing-song in the laundry, and did our skits around an imaginary campfire. On Monday morning we struck the tents after breakfast and flag break, and played a wide-game, in which we had to retrieve a pair of socks hidden at the falls near Ferny Creek. We set off for home at about 2pm and after driving through heavy rain in places we reached home at about 5:30pm. We had all enjoyed ourselves in spite of the rain and left quite a few memories.
P.L. Eland Patrol


One camper to another: "One thing that would help me feel safer in the bush would be a compass needle confident enough to point without trembling".

Announcement at an annual prize giving ceremony: "This cup goes to Micheal Anderson, who has won the walking race 3 times running".


expat 72 badge During the last August - September school holidays a Scout camp was held at Gordon Park in the Matopos. The object of the exercise was to teach scouts the art of self-reliance. About fifty one scouts from all over Rhodesia took part, and from these fifty one, twenty five were to be chosen to take part in an expedition to the Sabi-Lundi confluence area where a systematic search for the legendary "White City" which is thought to be in this area, is to be made.
Scouts of the 11th were asked to show visiting scouts from other centres around Bulawayo. It was because of this that we had to be at the Drill-Hall at about 7:30am. We then split up into groups and attempted to show them round town. We arrived back at the Drill Hall at about 10:30 and had quite a long wait before being loaded onto two trucks and taken to Gordon Park.
Some of the 11th went out in Mr George's old truck and he insisted on bringing a cows head for his Africans. This head was a little high and the delectable perfume that found its way out of the bag was not very appetizing, and by some means found a way to blow into the wind instead of with it. It succeeded in bringing out some comments from chaps who would never have thought to say such things in normal circumstances.
On arrival at Gordon Park we were given special EXPAT scarves and badges. The badges had to be sewn on by the boys who were thought to have developed the art of sewing to a very high standard of efficiency and skill.
After flag break, during which we were split up into five patrols -Tuli, Lundi, Mazoe, Mangwe and Inyati, we made camp near the parade ground. The rest of the day we used to make gadgets. Most of us hoped that this aspect of Scouting would be omitted but, however, scouters do not like to relax traditional tasks.
We were informed later on during the day that the weekend coming up would be used to facilitate a "TUFFENING-UP" hike.
The next day at about 7:30 am we were transported to Pomongwe cave which is on the other side of a mountain from Maleme Dam. We had to climb the mountain and at the top we were given our instructions. The hikes led us all over the Matopos and finished on Sunday afternoon at Maleme again. We covered quite a lot of ground on the first day, but could not find water for camp so we had to camp dry. However, that night we had a slight shower of rain and had to reside in a cave. Some groundsheets had been left out and were found to contain water in small puddles. Many Scouts dived at them and the result was more thirst because the meagre amounts were not enough to satisfy our wants. On arrival back at Maleme we found that our Patrol was second - last home. The first patrol back had arrived at 11 o'clock after taking a short-cut which shortened their hike by about 20 miles. The hike only being about 25 miles long (map miles).
Our program for the coming week was told us at flag break on Monday morning. The day was to be divided into 3 portions. Accordingly the patrols were joined until 3 groups were obtained. Group 1 for instance would do mountaineering, Group 2 would do first-aid, and Group 3 would do tracking or camouflage and concealment.
The mountaineering course was led by Me Stakesby-Lewis, a teacher at Falcon College. It included such skills as abseiling, caving, chimneying and general rock climbing. The most interesting and exhilarating was abseiling and all partakers on the camp learned this skill except for some of the nervous disposition category.
First Aid was taught by James H. Felgate and everything from scratches to remedying of decapitation. Bandages and general bush survival were also taught. The Army and police led the other groups and on one occasion the R.A.F. flew in a helicopter. We were shown the ups and downs (literally) of the helicopter. A rescue was also simulated for us. Other arts taught us were the arts of tracking, bush survival, camouflage and concealment and Mr Carlisle, Scout Leader of the 8th Hillside, taught us mapping and estimation.
During the whole of EXPAT we were on "Combat Alert", which meant that we could be called out at any time of the day or night to fight fire or abandon camp because of floods. We were called out once and my patrol, Tuli, was the only patrol that didnt take any food. We were told to make breakfast at the end of a short hike and we had to starve! (a petition was sent to the International Red Cross).
We had quite a number of night exercises and the last of these was a night hike. My patrol set off and arrived at the second check-point instead of the first and were then sent off on a wild-goose chase in the wrong direction by a thick scouter. We were eventually given a lift by Mr Gordon Caw and taken back to the first check-point. We again got lost and through some miracle met up with another patrol. Neither patrol knew where they were so after a short walk we arrived on a small dirt road. We then sat down, built a huge campfire and started singing (dirty) songs. Our singing found the ears of other patrols and eventually all five patrols were round the campfire singing songs. Two patrol leaders eventually walked down the road and found the third check-point, to our horror we found that we were some 1,000 yards from Gordon Park and our strains, travelling at 186,000 miles per second were clearly audible at Gordon Park. (The Scouters vocabularies were considerably increased!).
A mini Olympics was held and Herr Avery Brundage Wilcox opened it officially. A small Olympic flame was lit and it was extinguished at the end by a dust-pan lid. The Olympics were organised by Mr Pop Felgate, and the events included tossing the caber, hitch-hikers race (2 scouts carrying 3rd on a pole) cross-country, obstacle race, long jump, throwing the hunk of iron, tug-of-war and scrumming (strongest chaps in scrum formation pushing other patrols). This was very successful and enjoyed by everyone.
During the last weekend we went on another hike and the point of this was to test our learning abilities. There was one incident along the hike that tested our listening to the first-aid and mountaineering lectures. A chap had fallen down a small cliff and had landed on a ledge. We had to fix him up and haul him up on a stretcher. Our patient must have wished he had been killed in the fall! the hike was not a long one but was the most interesting of the two hikes, by day, that we went on. One incident never to be forgotten by the members of Tuli happened when several of our patrol walked into a dead tree that contained variable quantities of the most vicious, angry, hungry for blood and vile BEES. When they attacked us one member of the patrol dropped everything, glasses the works, and ran. When we had calmed down I went back to try and retrieve Peter Zach's (the Scout) things. His hat and glasses were covered in about 500 bees and they decided, like general Amin, that I was an undesirable and came at me - 24 to the square inch. I was only stung once however (National Hero) but another chap was stung about 15 times on the face and legs. We managed to get back the rucksack and we were told later that the hat and specs were also retrieved.
We made camp that night about 2 miles from the spot and 2 patrol leaders went for help because two scouts had swollen up like balloons. We had a miniature campfire that night (we were careful not to sing too loud this time). Early in the morning we carried on, leaving the wounded to be fetched later. We arrived back at Gordon Park at about 8:30am.
The last evening was the best because we succeeded in causing some small inexperienced scouts to walk about a mile on a false combat alert before they realised what was happening.
We left Gordon Park on Monday, 11th and arrived at Scout Headquarters at about 2:30pm in the afternoon.
On the Monday night a Survivor's Dinner was held at Greys Inn. Many scouts got "sloshed" (actually only about 2). One was led to believe that leaves floated in the fountain at Centenary Park were fish and he spent quite a long while trying to catch them.
The visiting scouts left on Tuesday night and a singsong on the station brought to a close the expedition preparation and training from which the name EXPAT was derived!
Colin Anderson
P.L. Sable Patrol


Van der Merwe claims that his uncle was run over by a steam roller. He is in hospital now, of course, in rooms 22 - 29.

Mistakes in newspapers:"I am pleasantly surprised, and very grateful for the chick I picked up at the Rectory for $200.00"

A quote from a reader's letter concerning a cooking problem: "Last week I made my fourth botch of jelly".


Impala Patrol
A good deed
1972 was the Girl Guides Diamond Jubilee and the Guides are doing and having many things done, so the 11th Riverside decided to do a good deed for them. They told us they needed some doors painted out at Rowallan Park, which is the Guide camping grounds in the Matopos. Mr Felgate chose some senior scouts and asked if we would like to go. The chosen boys were:- John Pridgeon, Jeffrey Swindells, Nick Coom, Colin Miles, Richard Hatfield and David Davies. We were told to be equipped with a paint brush, an empty tin and old rags, including some to wear!
On the 13th May we left for the Matopos, there were only four of us Nick and John had already gone the day before. We went in Mr. Hatfields van and arrived there at about 9:30am. We immediately got to work on painting FOURTY doors (for first and second coats). First, we removed the handles and rubbed down the doors and by three o’clock had finished the first coats and we were already seeing “that” coulour blue with our eye’s shut! At 3 o’clock we asked Mr Felgate if we could go climbing, he agreed as long as we really got stuck into the job the next day, we all consented to the plan. On the way to a mountain we had decided to climb, we came across an African who was convinced there was a snake up his trousers. He was vigorously shaking his leg and after a while he took off his trousers and found, to his relief, some grass attached to his leg. John and Nick told us about the python they had seen the day before in a cave and they showed us the spot which was in a fairly big cave with a wide enterance. We did many things and even came across a 6” scorpion, we also went looking for sablebut found none.
We then made our way back to camp. Richard Hatfield (the cook) started to make supper and we all joined in helping him and meanwhile taking turns in bathing (as the bath was like a thimble). After we had all washed we had supper, John and Nick ate with the Guides who were camping nearby. Our supper consisted of potatoes, beans and super fried chicken. To end off the evening we joined in with the Guides campfire and after an enjoyable evening we were given a hot cup of cocoa and then fell into bed thinking of the next day (Ugh!) .
At 7 o’clock the next day we got up and immediately started the second coat while Richard and Nicky began the breakfast. When the cooks had finished we had a filling meal, from then till lunch we painted no-stop as there was not much time left. The lunch consisted of everything that was left over. In spite of this the “graze” was eaten as we were starving. After lunch we again took up our brushes and started working. It was not at all boring painting, for we told each other many jokes.
At long last the final door was finished and we tidied and cleaned up. Then Mr Felgate took us all back home. Although it was a hard working weekend we all enjoyed it.
John Pridgeon
P.L. Impala Patrol


Living in a military community seems to have a decided effect on children. Recently a small girl knocked on the door and asked politely “Sir, am I authorised to climb in your tree?”.

Crazy Book Titles
The Kind Girl : by Jenny Rossity
Moving Stairs : by S.K. Later
Lost Battle : N.M.E. Gain

A Hint on how to cut glass
Have you ever wanted to cut glass without the aid of a glass cutter? Well, this is what you do. With a blunt instrument mark on the glass the line along which you want to cut the glass., then immerse the whole pane in a convenient container of hot water. Now cut along the line with a pair of sharp scissors. You will find that it cuts like cardboard without damaging the scissors. Of course plate galss cannot be cut in this way!
Kudu Patrol

The Assegai Competition was held this year over the weekend of 27th – 28th May 1972. The patrols were supposed to meet at the gates of Gordon Park at 2:00pm. Two patrols from the 11th were entered but difficulties arose when two members of the 1st and main patrol had to play rugby. This was sorted out however, with the organizers and the 2 boys were expected to arrive at 3:00pm. Unfortunately only one boy arrived on time – the other was concussed.
From the gates of Gordon Park the depleted patrol (and the others) was given a hike to follow. This was about 5 miles long and entailed making a detour to a spot just short of the enterance to white Rhino Caves and from there over the kopjies to the camp-site. Most patrols managed to do this except our number 2 patrol which arrived about and hour and a half late. (Plans for a search squad were being made up by then!).
The patrols set up camp and then began the various assignments which had been given to them. Two members from each patrol had to do the tests and no two could be ‘used’ again. This was where we fell down because one member of our patrol was missing (concussed!) There were, in all, 22 tests of which only 9 were spare time projects. The spare time projects included making a pipe from natural materials, a belt of string, a road map and a wood-cut. (pieces of wood cut at different angles to the grain).
Most tests were carried out very successfully, but few, such as the pioneering, were catastrophic!
On Saturday night after supper we had a campfire and various patrols put on “Skits”. Our second patrol put on a polished performance because they had a lot of practise (We found out later that this was the reason they had been late in the beginning; practising on a kopjie!)
Soon after the campfire a morse-code message came flashing out and we had to find out what it was. We succeeded, to some extent.
On Sunday after a short Scouts Own, we set off on an incident hike. We lost points when we did not stop to help a disguised African Scout Leader. He professed to know nothing about Scouts so we let him fix his own car. The best incident was flour-bombing the patrol coming after us. We scored one direct hit and several near misses. Our 2nd who came up third suffered many direct hits and a few near misses. Decoding of messages followed, and then getting rid of radio-active material, we dropped the bucket of uranium but this did not hinder us carrying on with the test!
The last test was tracking. We came across what was meant to be a terrorist camp. The terrorist has been shot by an army man and had tried to run away.
At about 4pm on Sunday the results were read:-
1st - 8th Hillside
2nd - 11th Riverside (1)
We had failed once again but had tried hard and no one put more effort into our effort than John Pridgeon our Patrol Leader.
Colin Anderson
P.L.Sable Patrol


Notice seen on a sun dial in a town overcast by polluted air “out of order”.
Cockeral : Alarm Cluck
Artificial turf : Fibergrass
Cat : Rug addict.


Cook Out, 1972
Matabeleland held its last Cook-Out Competition on 26th August 1972. It was divided up into four groups or sections, A, B, C, and D and in each group there was a different meal to cook, D being the African section.
Being in Section A we had to cook a Pot Roast, two vegetables followed by Pancakes and syrup. All this had to be cooked with the site judge watching. The food was then tasted by the eating judge who gave points. Although some food ended up as cinders, the judges bravely tried all put before them.
Cooking ceased at 4:30 and the Scouts were given drinks which was organised by the Riverside Scout Group and which Mrs Swindells very kindly took care of. When the teting was over and the sites had been checked to see how well the Scouts had cleared the area, everyone assembled in a circle and the prizes were handed out.
The eating judges were each given a gift for the dangerous work they did all afternoon!!


A very haughty lady dressed in a beautiful fur coat was driving a Daimler and as she approached a very ordinary man driving a very ordinary car, she put her head out of the window and shouted at him “pig!”. He was so astounded but just managed to shout back “Fat Cow!” He drove off in a fury and as he rounded the corner went straight into a pig in the middle of the raod!


JOTA is a Scout gathering whereby scouts all over the world contact eachother by radio. JOTA means “Jamboree On The Air”, has been going for the last 15 years. This took place at Gordon Park.
The 11th Riverside put in two patrols consisting of 13 Scouts. Patrol A had the following members:-
P.L. A. Millar, A.P.L. J. Swindells, S. Cook, I.Gardner, D.Garriock and T. Robas.
Patrol B consisting of:-
P.L. R . Hatfield, A.P.L. D.Davies, G.Robas, G.Gardner, R.Millar, J. Swindells and Julian Swindells. The two cooks were myself and David Davies, because we were passing our cooks badge.
We left the Scout Hall at 9:30hrs in Mr Robas’s truck and Mr Swindells Kombi and arrived at Gordon Park at 10:30 hrs. We pitched camp and went to the shack for our first contact with the other scouts. For this we had half an hour for each patrol. After this we all went down to the showers and had a lovely cold shower before lunch. At 14:00hrs patrol A had to go to the radio shack again while Patrol B fetched firewood for the graze that night. We had to go to the shack every 3 hours. We were the last patrol to go to the shack before it closed down at 24:00hrs. Then we had coffee and sandwiches which Jeff Swindells and myself helped make with Margret Miller. After this 6 of us went out for a walk to the M.O.T.H. Shrine and back. This took till 02:30hrs but we found everybody awake playing games! Our next duty was at 08:00hrs that morning. After having a shower we walked to the shack and they had already contacted 49 countries. We all had a lazy morning as it was so hot and the mopane flies were terrible. At 15:00hrs we started to pack up as the transport would be there at 16:00 hrs. After a hot long journey we arrived back at the Scout Hall at 17:15 hrs. where all our parents were waiting for us.
Andrew Millar
A.P.L. Sable Patrol

(Everything below actually came at the front of the Rumbles magazine - but I moved it to the end - to make the beginning more exciting! - sorry - hg)

1972 was a good year for the 11th Riverside Troop. Some scouts left, but were replaced by eager, fresh new recruits. We are still at our usual strength of around 30 Scouts, and in every competition have acquitted ourselves well.
This edition of the “Riverside Rumbles” records the main events in which our Troop participated last year. The articles have all been written by the scouts themselves, and it is hopes that these will provide an interesting and entertaining account of the previous year. However, should any parent or others have any comments or suggestions, these would always be very welcome.
Now an appeal to all parents. Help on Friday evenings is always very welcome. The two A.S.L.’s cannot always be present owing to University studies and Army. So how about some of you parents seriously thinking about getting into uniform for a very rewarding and enjoyable experience. Your assistance is earnestly desired, and it costs nothing but a little of your time to help many keen boys prepare for their future lives. Please give it some thought. Your assistance in the form of transport etc, is also gratefully appreciated on many occasions. Thank you to all those who have helped.
A very big thank you to Mrs Coom who at the last minute came forward once again to cut out the stencils. This is greatly appreciated.
It remains for us to say that we hope 1973 will be as good, if not more successful than 1972, and that the Troop will move on in the true Scouting spirit. To the reader… read on---!

Notes From The Group Scout Leader
It is said that Scouting is in the doldrums at present, but I cannot say this of the 11th Riverside which has some of the keenest scouts in Rhodesia and as a Troop are real “eager beavers”.
We finished the year with 28 Scouts in 4 patrols. Springbok patrol was closed in June when 4 of our Scouts from Waterford decided to re-open the 10th Waterford Troop. We wish them luck and every success. We welcomed South African 1st Class Scout Steven Cook as well as 6 new recruits to the troop during the year.
I was please to see in November many new parents at the Investiture Ceremony, when Scouts Brian Kleb, Richard Millar, David Garriock and Terry Robas were invested. Mr Dave Fyfe, Matabeleland Provincial Scout Commissioner was in attendance to present the Chief Scout’s Award to P/L John Pridgeon. Well done John.
The Scouts did a splendid job in painting all the doors at Rowallan Park in the Matopos, the Girl Guides Camping ground, as Riversides contribution to our sister organisation’s Diamond Jubilee year. It was a hard weekends work and the Guide Commissioner passed the remark that she never expected the job to be completed in one weekend!
“Good Turns” are second nature to the Riverside Scouts and this year they excelled themselves at the Trade Fair, not forgetting the excellent support given also by their parents. Scouts also assisted at two motor racing meetings, the Percy Sledge Show, and they were the leading Scouts at the Anniversary Service of the 1893 Pioneer Column on the 4th Novembers.
Once again we did well in both the Assegai and Cook Out competitions, but alas, there was no Rolling Stone competition in 1972. As we were the previous winners we still hold the trophy.
The highlight of the year was EXPAT ’72 in which 8 of our Scouts took part, and after a gruelling 10 days of expert instruction, hiking and testing adventure calling for leadership and initiative, 5 of our scouts were selected from over 50 scouts present to go on the Sabi expedition in 1973. Congratulations to those scouts.
I overheard a remark the other day about young Johnny, “Do you know he is an A.P.L. in Scouts, and fully capable of taking a patrol to camp as he has the highest award in the Junior Red Cross”!! We at Riverside have not shouted about this important aspect of Scouting, but we have had no less than 7 Scouts who have obtained the Red Cross Junior Grand Proficiency, the highest award, 5 of whom are still with us!! Our Red Cross Scouts do regular duties throughout the year at the Trade Fair. Horse Shows, Ascot race course, Motor racing and rugby matches. I take the opportunity of thanking Mrs P.Kabot and Mrs N. Sage of the Red Cross for the training of our Scouts.
Congratulations to P/L Colin Miles for winning the Allied Arts prize of a trip to the Victoria Falls and to Queen Scout Robert Felgate for winning a C.A.B.S. Bursary to Outward Bound Mountain School.
My thanks go to the Group Committee under the chairmanship of Mr John Coom for all their hard work during the year, to Mr Cecil James for the proceeds from the scrap paper to swell troop funds, and his assistance with transport to Selukwe, to Mr ken Robas and Mrs D.Lawson for their help at various times.
Lastly my thanks to my two A.S.L.’s Jimmy Felgate and Andy Lawson and my two Acting (Unwarranted) A.S.L.’s Robert Felgate and Nicky Coom for their unstinting assistance throughout the year.
Hudson Felgate


3, 18th Avenue,

Mr R. Hudson Felgate,
P.o.Box 2291,

Dear Mr Felgate,
I should be pleased if you would convey to your Scout Troop the very grateful thanks of the Rowallan Park Committee for their wonderful Good Turn in supplying the paint and painting all the doors at Rowallan.

This brotherly service to the Guide Movement in their Diamond Jubilee year is very much appreciated, and will help us to present a bright welcome to Guides coming to the Jubilee Music Camp, in August.

Yours sincerely
Signed Audrey Eley,
Hon. Secretary
Rowallan Park Committee.


Assistant Scout Leaders Comments
Both of us have been rather out of circulation this year with one of us being a University and the other in the Army. As usual much seems to have occurred, and we should like to congratulate John Pridgeon on gaining his Chief Scout’s Award. This is a stout effort, and as we both know was very well earned. We should like to see him go on and gain his Sable Award as soon as possible. We should also like to congratulate John and his able patrol on leading the 11th Riverside into 2nd place in the Assegai Competition. Let us see if we can do better in 1973!
Scouting during 1972 seems to have taken a new lease on life and was particularly eventful, especially with EXPAT. This was an enormous success, and certainly brought Scouting to the forefront. We were also very successful in that five of the Troop who attended this event were selected to go on an expedition in May/June of this year. This is the most from any Troop in Rhodesia. Well done to John Pridgeon, Colin Miles, Nicky Coom, Colin Anderson and Andrew Millar for being selected.
We should also like , on behalf of all the Scouts and Scouters, to thank all concerned in the vast improvements in the Scout Hall. We can perhaps boast of having the smartest Scout Hall in Bulawayo. Thank you one and all.
Thanks also to all those who have helped the Troop in any way; it is greatly appreciated. Last but not least, a big thank you to our Scout Leader , Mr Hudson Felgate, for all his hard efforts in the Troop.
Just another word to all – there is no room for complacency. If you have a job of work to do, do it to the best of your ability, as slackness benefits no one, least of all, yourself.
Good luck for 1973.
Jimmy Felgate and Andrew Lawson Assistant Scout Leaders 11th Bulawayo (Riverside)

Website Last Updated :